A patent can be infringed in several ways:
- By directly infringing a patent;
- By inducing another to infringe a patent;
- By contributory infringement;
- By importing, selling or using a product made abroad through a process protected by a U.S. process patent; or
- By manufacturing or selling certain components of a patented invention to be assembled abroad.
There are several defenses to a claim of patent infringement.
- Patent invalidity
- Patent misuse
- Experimental use
Both injunctions and monetary damages are available for patent infringement.